Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Lim still waiting for action from cops - The Star

May 13, 2008 By FAZLEENA AZIZ

SEGAMBUT MP Lim Lip Eng is still waiting for an investigating officer (IO) from the police station to look at his car, which is believed to have been damaged during the recent Bandar Mahkota, Cheras protest incident.

Lim’s car, a light green-metallic Proton Perdana, which is parked at a mechanic shop on Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur has visible scratch marks, flat tyres and missing number plate and Ahli Parlimen (MP) crest.

Damaged: Lim showing the scratches on his car.

“I had purposely parked my car between two Federal Reserve Unit (FRU) trucks. The police and FRU cannot say they did not know I was an MP because my car had the MP crest.

“I lodged a report at a pondok police near the Hospital Selayang at 6.20pm that day and an officer there took my statement. He said that they would send an IO from Kajang to see my car. It is Monday now.

“I have not repaired my car because I want them to take pictures and investigate. The damages could easily cost RM10,000.

During the Bandar Mahkota saga, Lim also sustained injuries.

“When I got down, the first thing I did was to ask who the officer in charge was but no one said anything, including the workers working on the barriers.

“I identified myself and had to take charge of the situation.

“People can say that the area is not under my jurisdiction but I have been the legal adviser for the Bandar Mahkota Cheras Open Access Road Committee, how can I abandon them in their time of need.

“As I stood there while the police and FRU were warning the crowd to disperse, a plainclothes officer grabbed me from behind. I kept asking who these people were but no one answered me.

“Then some burning liquid was sprayed on my face, which temporarily blinded me. I then felt punches and kicks all over my body and even on my head.

“They only stopped when state executive councillor Ean Yong Hean Wah came to my aid. They did not dare touch Yong.

“I will pursue this matter in Parliament and I want them to apologise to me and to the people.

Lim added that he would not hesitate to sue the police if they did not respond accordingly.

About 1,000 residents from the nearby areas, gathered from 4pm on May 8 to stop the work conducted by workers at the Taman Mahkota junction.

More than 100 policemen, including personnel from the Light Strike Force and the Federal Reserve Unit, were dispatched to the area on Thursday when the residents held a demonstration to protest against Grand Saga.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mr Lim,
I hope you realise that you have just been a victim of assault and battery. You have also been attacked with Capsicum spray, which is classified as a weapon.

Seriously, do you really just want an apology from your assailants? What sort of signals are you sending them?

If you do not press charges (and pursue it instead of sleeping on it) and fully make the relevant parties accountable, you are just allowing them to get away with just a slap on the wrist. They will then assault someone else later (could be you again in the future).

As for waiting for them to make the first move, could you please wake up from your dream world and take charge of the whole situation?

You are an MP. Do your job and take control!!